Friday, March 22, 2013

Lime and Coconut




Well – It’s officially Spring. Hip hip! 
Doesn’t feel like it yet – but it’s here. Somewhere. Not sure where. But it is. And I take comfort in that fact…despite the reality that Boston is still looking rather wintry.

The ground is covered in snow. Flakes have continually been falling from the sky. And the wind refuses to back off….Mercifully it is sunny and bright – but it’s felt like a long winter. 

I for one am dreaming of warmer weather. Toes in the sand and beach blankets. Flip Flops and sun dresses. Grilled dinners and Fresh Fruit. Open air patios and afternoon cocktails.

Two days ago, on my way to work, amidst the latest winter dumping… as completed my daily trudge over the JFK bridge (a ritual which entails wrapping a scarf several times around my face so that only my eyes are exposed, pulling a hood tightly over my head and hunkering down to brace myself against the artic winds that whip across the Charles river) an unfortunate encounter with a speeding car and a perfectly placed puddle left me absolutely soaked in icy brown slush from head to toe.

It was disgusting – I was wet, freezing cold, covered in mud and on the verge of blackout rage. The bag that I was carrying was somehow full of snow, my coffee cup was coated in dirt from the road and I had chunks of salt in my hair. Coupled with the fact that by this point I was mumbling indiscernible obscenities to myself and frantically scurrying across the sidewalk to get out of the elements…. I looked like some kind of a crazy hunchbacked terrorist.  

Honestly, if I had seen me, I probably would have crossed the street.
It was at this very moment that I realized I was all set with winter.

Winter has never really been my most fashionable season. To begin with, I truly resent having to wear pants. (Note that I do not go around bare bummed in every other season) I just much prefer dresses and skirts to trousers and jeans.

I, who am not 5’7+ and rail thin, do not actually look cute in layers on layers on layers – honestly I don’t really know who does (Kate Moss, Heidi Klum, ski bunnies on the slopes of Aspen, perhaps) – nor do I support wearing fabulous full length furs --- and I just really can’t pull off the Russian ice Princess look. Muffs, Fluffy Hats and all that….


I look like some sort of little snow beast and I feel like this kid:
I also like to be outside and try to walk most everywhere (albeit in clunky salt covered snow boots) so, thanks to the wind and freezing rain, I am frequently showing up bleary eyed, with mascara running down my face and a Rudolph red-nose.  My love of walking also brings about a weekly brush with death which stems from trying to move fast on icy Boston sidewalks. Probably should just invest in some handy-dandy ski-poles and cramp-ons…but I wholeheartedly refuse (mostly due to the fact that I do not live in some secluded crag on the side of a mountain in the middle of a forgotten tundra).

One positive -- I have seen a few good, full on, fall down wipe-outs this season – which, after confirming that said victim is alright – always provide a good laugh!

In short, on this Friday afternoon, I am ready for winter to release its icy grip and make way for wonderful warm weather.

Hibernation is coming to a close – which has reminded me that it’s time to put down the double cream hot chocolate, let go of the Guinness and rethink the eggnog cocktail. Spring will be here before you know it and Summer soon to follow. Which means bikini season is juuuuussst around the corner (right about now the layers on layers on layers don’t seem so bad ;) )…

Since it’s Friday – it seems only fitting to kick of the weekend with a list of delicious, fruity, sweet, refreshing summer time bevies that won’t bust the button on your jeans. Happy weekend and  Happy Mixing!


Salty Chihuahua (big time favorite)
Skinny Girl Pina Colada – Option 1 and Option 2

No comments:

Post a Comment